Monday, April 23, 2007

My new friends

I've made a lot of friends in the past month. More friends than I've ever made in such a short time. And they are well-meaning, informative friends who want to help and who know only too well what I go through every day with Mom. They understand, they love, and most importantly they don't judge.  I have been visiting the Alzheimer's message boards and have learned more information in the past month about this disease and what's to come than I would have ever thought possible.  I guess what I mean is, I thought I knew what was coming and in a sense, I did. And I was scared to face a lot of it. But these people on the message boards put it in such perspective that nothing could come as a shock at this point.  No matter what kind of nutty thing Mom does, someone in the forum has been there, done that. And no matter how bad a situation is, someone in the forum has it worse.  In the past month, I've gotten the best advice I could ever ask for. And it didn't come from a Doctor, but from people who KNOW. Experience is the best teacher.

One friend I have on the boards goes by the name 'Serenity'.  Serenity is at the end of her journey with her Mother. But she was gracious enough to let us all share the final days her Mother spent on this earth. It had to be the most beautiful passing I have ever had the opportunity to 'share', even if all I did was read her posts daily.  My wish is for Mom to pass that peacefully, when it's her time to go. (And we have a long way to go before that happens.) This was her final post (you can click on it) about her Mother, who died yesterday at 3:00pm   Dear Mom - Your Angel Wings look so so beautiful on you...see you again in my dreams. - Topic Powered by eve community

No comments: