Monday, April 16, 2007

Good News For Mom

Today my nephew called me to tell me he was going to be a Dad. He was so excited and he wanted to tell his Grandmother that she was going to be a Great-Grandmother. I put her on the phone but I was a little worried about how the conversation would go. I made sure I told her that her Grandson was on the phone and told her which one. I long ago gave up just handing her the phone. If I did that, the first five minutes would be spent on not only names, but lineage, too. I was in the other room and I could hear her side of the conversation. They would talk and soon she would say, "who is this, again?" and then, "Of course, Richard! Where are you located now?" And he told her and they talked some more and then she asked, "now, who am I talking to again?"

He finally managed to tell her about the new baby coming, and then they went through the names...I heard her say, "the baby's name is Tatum? No? Oh, oh, oh, you're going to name the baby Tatum? Oh! OK, I see. The Mother's name is Tatum!" It went on like that for a few minutes and again I heard her say, "Tell me who this is, again...you've got me so excited, I can't remember!"

I felt so sorry for my nephew. He was SO excited to tell us this news. Mom's first great-grandchild. He knew, though that it wouldn't be easy but I did feel so sorry for him. But I let them talk about 10 minutes or so and asked her if I could tak to him. They said their I love you's and their goodbye's and I got back on the phone. I was worried that the conversation might depress him and he had sounded so euphoric over the news that he was going to be a Dad.

I got back on the phone and the first thing he said was, "Man, I LOVE her! She's just awesome." He went on to say how much he wanted her at his wedding and couldn't wait for her to hold this baby that won't be born until next December. He has such a huge heart, that boy. Especially when it comes to his family.

I’m so happy for Mom and for my nephew. When Stan got home I told Mom to tell him about her new great grandchild on the way. She remembered and relayed that Richard was going to make her a great grandmother. (ok, I helped a little, with who’s it was, again.)  ;)  But we’ll continue to talk about it so she might remember it for a while. I told her she should start a simple crocheted blanket for ‘it’.  About all she can do anymore is a simple crochet stitch.

No comments: